My Labor and Delivery Story

My labor and delivery was a little too dramatic,than I had imagined.
The day I became a mommy, November 10th 2015 at 3:16 PM.
Welcome to the world my Prince; we have been waiting for you ☺. Edem M.A. 7pounds and 13 ounces, 21inches of perfection- with long black hair.



My original due date was November 17th and after my second ultra sound, the baby was measuring two weeks ahead then what we thought, so my date was changed to November 4th. This date came and went and there was no baby, we scheduled an induction date for November 11th.

My doctor had a free evening on November 8th, so I had the foley induction done and was sent home. The doctor told us to come back to the hospital if I was in lots of pain, otherwise just call the hospital in the morning and schedule a time to come in and technically have the baby.
I was fine when we got home until it was bedtime, started having contractions and was getting ready to head to the pain and the pain stopped. We went to bed and called the hospital in the morning and the maternity ward was full, we called again in the afternoon- same response. I was becoming impatient and wanted to meet my baby, called again that night and was told to call the next morning.
The nurse called at 6:30 am, we run to the hospital. I didn’t want to miss my chance. The nurse started me on pitocin ( the synthetic version of oxytocin. Oxytocin is the hormone that runs around your body to make your uterus contract. Under ideal circumstances, you’ll make enough to squirt that baby out on your own). at 7:30, as I was only ½ cm dilated and I got the epidural (this was probably the most painful part of my labor – I almost wished I didn’t get it).
40minutes and 5 pushes later, I got to hold the most precious gift ever known to man. I was a mommy, I didn’t know the gender of our baby- but was 80% sure it was a boy. I got to hold my little Prince; he came out screaming with eyes wide open sucking on his finger. He smiled the minute he looked at me. It is the most amazing feeling in the world; no words can quite explain it.

The labor was so easy, I remember laughing between pushes, the nurse thought I was crazy. This was not until, I started screaming as their were stitching me up. I was having this insane pain in my spine and I knew something was not right. The doctor had to take out the stitches and pump my stomach; just as he started stitching again I was in even more pain. They removed the epidural and called other doctors to figure out what was happening to me. I was in so much pain, I couldn’t hold my baby- I remember asking my husband who was standing by the bedside were our son was.
My poor baby was in basinet in the corner all by himself for almost 2hours. I had to be taken to the operating room, am not going to lie, I was scared of what was happening to me and all I wanted was to just hold my baby. My poor husband was traumatized, he was scared even though he will never admit it.
I didn’t get to hold my son again until 10PM when I got out of recovery. I was still in a lot of pain, I had two needles in both hands for water and blood. I was not able to hold my son for long, this made me very sad and they had to give him formula because obviously I wasn’t able to feed him.

We were in the hospital for 4 days, things don’t always go as planned and am glad I went in with an open mind. But what happened was a little too dramatic, and I would go through the pain again and again if it meant I got to have my prince.

I am blessed and truly grateful and thankful. God I thank you for everything.
Thank you to my nurse, she went above and beyond her job description. I felt like my mom was there with me, will never be able to thank her enough. I take Edem in to visit her every chance I get.

XoXo Marco


2 thoughts on “My Labor and Delivery Story”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s